Sunday 14 October 2012

If you're a little confused ...

... Why I've seemingly randomly decided to go to uni ... So am I!! So I will try and explain it as much as I can ...

"What?! I thought you said you didn't want to go to uni?!"
I don't think I ever said I didn't want to go to uni at all-ever, I just said that I hadn't found any courses that really sparked my interest. But now I have.

"Aren't you giving up a great opportunity to live overseas?"
Yes. I can only get this working visa once in my life, but it's still valid until 2014 so I can come back if I want to. That aside, I was never coming over here forever.

"What made you decide to go to uni?"
Way back a year ago when the idea of working in the UK manifested itself in my mind and grew into something that I HAD to do right now! I wasn't in a very good place. I felt like I was just wandering around, doing absolutely nothing of value. I had no goals, no purpose, no direction. So the idea of going overseas was an escape from that nothingness. It gave me something to look forward to, and aim towards. Basically it gave me something to DO. When I came over here it was a crazy-awesome-adventure of new stuff and new people and new adventures! I did miss home, though (and still do!), but when I left I had decided that I wasn't going to come home until I had a clear plan of what I was going to do with myself. So whenever I felt really homesick, I'd brainstorm all the things I could do if I went home right then and worked out if that was really what I wanted to do with my life. One of these things was studying. It's something that has fluttered around in my head since I finished school, but I never found a course that looked interesting. Eventually I stumbled onto a few subjects at Swinburne that looked pretty good. The more subjects I looked at the more interesting it got. So I spent MONTHS debating whether or not I really wanted to study for three years and if I really wanted to go back home.  I decided that I pretty much wanted to stay here and go home to study equally, so I might as well apply for uni and If I got in, I'd go home. If not, I'd stay here.

"Why does the idea of going to uni scare you more than the idea of moving to the other side of the world on your own with no job, no accommodation and barely any money? That's NUTS! Uni's really not that bad!"
Most of you know that I really did not like high school. I was really not very happy for the last few years (for various reasons that I won't go into), so I have formed an association between "unhappiness" and "studying". That said, I love learning things. I love researching things to find out everything you could possibly know about things. If I'm really passionate about something (Disney) I will stay up all night reading stuff about it and then tell everyone I know all the crazy and interesting stuff I have found.
But as much as I am excited to go to uni, there is still a nagging fear that some of the things that made me sad in high school will come back. They probably won't because I'm older a wiser and awesomer now, but at the moment, it feels like a huge gamble.

I'm not promising I'm going to stick at it for the whole three years (my dad hasn't set an excellent example on that front!), but I want to try it and see what all the fuss is about!!

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Waow That's great, I'm so happy for you!
    SO what's the course?? what are you looking at doing?
    Glad to hear you're well
    xoxo Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg!!
      I'm going to do Arts at Swinburne. Probably doing Media and Cultural Studies type stuff and hopefully a film theory minor, but it's with a different department on a different campus, so I don't know if it will be possible.

      How are you going with the crazyness that is VCE??

      Delete